Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The eye on Rove


I think it's important that media of all brands, even partisan media, show restraint in reporting and making comments regarding ongoing investigations. Most of us are aware of the potential impact media can have on criminal investigations.

Here is a story about the special investigations on Karl Rove and the current White House Administration.

I think this investigation is great! It will either exonerate Rove and the administration, or it will clearly show that the current White House has engaged in dishonorable political practices.

If it's the latter, as I suspect, I wonder how many will admit that they had misplaced their trust. It's really not important to me to hear those confessions, that would be prideful, but I would hope that it serves to create a more humble political atmosphere.

6 comments:

Blake Roberts said...

::Warning, the following comment may be considered conservative.::

Maybe the Democrats in Congress should worry more about getting their hundred hour legislation through the Senate before they go on a White House witch hunt.

I like Rove and I don't think he has done anything wrong. It seems like there are more immediate and productive things that Congress could be doing.

By the way, I'm buying my first handgun on Friday! I'm excited!

Anonymous said...

Blake,

The investigation is bipartisan. It would happen even if there were Republicans controlling congress.

Remember, it's a criminal investigation.

Blake Roberts said...

Sorry, that comment came off a bit snippy. It has been a long day, and I'm a bit edgy.

I'm really not a fan of Congressional investigations in general. Most of the time I feel the Constitutionality of such investigations are at best shaky.

For example, remember the investigation into steroid use by Major League Baseball? I was upset at the Republicans then, and I felt it was a total and complete waste of time and the taxpayers money.

Further, I am unaware of any place in the Constitution, with the exception of impeachment of the President, that Congress is authorized to hold such hearings. If I have overlooked it then please point it out to me.

Anonymous said...

Blake,

I understand what you're saying, but I still am not sure you're getting it. The investigation is being carried out by the Office of Special Counsel, which is a part of the White House Administration.

They are independent of Congress. Scott J. Bloch, the head of Special Council was appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate.

To repeat, the Office of Special Counsel is part of the Executive Branch.

Blake Roberts said...

Indeed it is. Well, serves me right for jumping to conclusions with out reading the article. Boy do I have egg on my face...

Jessica said...

Even if the investigation were from Congress, it is necessary to provide important oversight that has been missing for the last 6 years.